Monday, July 5, 2021

Philadelphia Freedom

 I hope you all had a good 4th of July celebrating the USA's Independence Day!  And hopefully today is a day off from the regular routine as well.  

It seemed like a good time to re-cap a little more of my trip to Philadelphia last weekend.  While living in Bogota', Colombia in South America for 3 years, I got to know my sweet friend Sarah.  She is in the states visiting family in Pennsylvania, so I flew to Philly and she met me there to spend the weekend catching up and seeing the sights. I promise you, the airports are so crowded and you would never know we had a pandemic last year, except that we are still wearing masks at airports and on the airplanes.

This was a beautiful sight of a river with a bridge across it as I was in flight.
We ate dinner from a food truck from an area near the water.  It was such a fun area of people hanging out and they had a wall of locks.
This was our hotel, which was in a great location, right on the water.

The first full day there we set out to see some historic sights.
The famous Liberty Bell
This room below is the Old City Hall of Philadelphia and where the Supreme Court met from 1791-1800. This is also the room where George Washington was inaugurated for his second term as President and where John Adams was inaugurated as our second President.
We then went next door to Independence Hall.
This signing of the Declaration of Independence happened in this building in the room pictured below.  Our tour guide told us we were standing in the most historic room of all our country.  The chair in the middle is the same one George Washington used, but the other items are re-productions.
This is Benjamin Franklin's grave.
Of course, a trip to Philly is not complete without a Philly Cheesesteak.  These restaurants are not hard to find up there!
Speaking of food, my friend brought me lots of my favorite Colombian goodies, including this candy bar.  It did not make it back south with me :).
The next day, we did my bucket list item of running the Rocky steps, which are located outside the Philadelphia Art Museum.  Next to the steps is the Rocky Statue.
We also walked by Love Park and saw the current city hall building, which is beautiful.

After a stressful morning at the airport, I had these Platano chips from Colombia for breakfast on my flight out of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia was a great weekend city and I was so thankful to have time away with a friend I don't see very often with us living in different countries.  

Happy Monday friends!














2 comments:

  1. Oh, this just makes me want to go to Philadelphia again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip! Your pictures are all beautiful and now I want to go there. That Philly cheesesteak...oh my STARS. I can almost taste it through the computer. I'm so glad you had such a fun trip! I really do love history, so I would love to go there someday and see all of that. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...