Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Alabama ~ Long Weekend

 Good morning.  After a long, hard week last week, I am back today blogging with a recap of my weekend.  It was good timing to get away to a place just a few hours away, Florence, Alabama.

Saturday morning, we headed to Florence and first stop was Rosie's Cantina.  Oh my word, this place was the best dining experience!  It was festive, yet a calm atmosphere.  The food was fantastic and service was great. 

After eating all this food, they offered us free ice cream :).

Florence is home to the University of North Alabama, which houses the only live college mascot on campus, a lion. We went to see this lion habitat.

Muscle Shoals, the town nearby, is famous for 2 recording studios, which recorded most famous people in history. There is a documentary on this currently on Amazon Prime. This is one of the famous studios.  

After lots of good food, we went on a hike, which was just my pace.  It was a few miles, yet not too strenous.

We also visited a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home, which was cool to see.

After breakfast Monday morning, we rode by the home of Helen Keller in the nearby town of Tuscumbia.  I toured this about 8 years ago, so we didn't go in the house this time.  The small cottage to the right of the main house is where Anne Sullivan worked one on one with Helen Keller.  This is such a fascinating story to me.


It was a great weekend away and just what I needed to re-set and re-charge.

I'll hopefully be back blogging tomorrow too!





5 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I have that Frank Lloyd Wright home on my to-do list. Fun fact: I almost went to college here. I was accepted and had a roommate and everything, then changed my mind at the last minute. I didn't know about the live mascot on campus! That's neat. I hope it's a nice habitat for him/her. Have a great day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description of "festive yet calm" to describe the restaurant! That sounds like my kind of place (especially since it looks like chips and salsa were involved!). What a great getaway! Love all the pics of the scenery and town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a nice getaway in Florence. I'm also so inspired by Helen Keller. Hope all is ok with you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...