Monday, January 30, 2023

Hello Monday ~ Sun Studio

 I am going back 2 weeks ago today on the holiday when I visited Sun Studio in Memphis.  Are you familiar with this musical landmark?  If not, here is some information about this iconic place of music history:

"Sun Studio is known worldwide as “The Birthplace of Rock’n’roll”. It is the discovery location of musical legends and genres of the 50’s from B.B. King and Elvis Presley to Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis; from Blues and Gospel to Country and Rock’n'roll. Today our goal is to spread the story of Memphis’ history and culture through the music that put Memphis on the map. 

Stand in the very same spot that Elvis first recorded. Your tour guide will tell you the inside stories of B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf and Ike Turner before Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, & Roy Orbison who were all drawn to the new Sun Sound.

See the priceless memorabilia from the musical legends that blended blues and country music to explode in the "big bang" of Rock'n'roll.

Hear the voices of musicians that still haunt this studio, as you listen to outtakes from recording sessions and feel the energy of the music created here. "

​I love listening to music and have always been an Elvis fan.  I've mentioned it here before, but Elvis was my first concert.  This tour certainly talks about Elvis since this is where he made his first recording, but there is so much more in this tour.

Below is the original door that was used for the studio. This door is no longer in operation, as you enter in a door next door to this space.
Behind the original entry door....
This is the office with the original furnishings..
With the exception of this guitar presented to the studio last year after the release of the Elvis movie.
Inside the recording studio...
Looking from the front to the back of the studio
This is the same microphone Elvis used when he recorded in the studio!  The owner wanted to make sure when this opened for tours, guests would have the experience to be able to touch the same microphone.
In addition to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and many others have recorded at Sun Studio. U2 recorded "Angel of Harlem", "Love Rescue Me" and "When Love Comes to Town" at Sun Studio for their famous Rattle and Hum album.  Below is the drumset of U2 when they recorded and they donated it to the studio.

This was a great tour not far from home.  If you are ever in the Memphis area and a music fan, I recommend it!

Speaking of Memphis, we have been all over the news this past weekend and not in a good light.  It is so sad and praying for peace and safety for the city.  






3 comments:

  1. Such a neat place! Abby really wants to go to Graceland so I've been looking into a trip there (we were going to go this year on her spring break but I think she's received a better offer with a friend in Florida... which is fine! I just want her to have a good break!). I had read about Sun Studio but wasn't sure if we would go there assuming we go to Graceland. Now, knowing we can touch Elvis' microphone, that is a game changer! We will definitely try to go there whenever we go to Graceland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so neat! I had never heard of this place before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic place to visit. It’s so great that the owner allows visitors to hold the microphone. I was never a huge fan of Elvis but I really enjoyed the Elvis movie and appreciated learning so much about him. We have an annual Elvis festival in a regional town in New South Wales. It started as a one day event back in the 90s but it is so popular that now it’s a five day long festival of all things Elvis. I have never been but I have heard that it’s amazing and hugely popular with thousands attending.

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...