Wednesday, June 26, 2024

What's Up Wednesday ~ June 2024

 Here we go finishing up half of 2024....And usually, the second half seems to go by fast.  That being said, the fall seems like a long time away as we have such hot weather this week! I am joining up with What's Up Wednesday and Hodgepodge.

What I'm eating this week........
Sunday - frozen pizza
Monday - celebrated with my parents for my dad's birthday
Tuesday - enchiladas
Wednesday - ravioli or chicken nuggets
Thursday - out
Friday - out
Saturday - ??

What I'm reminiscing about...........
A part of my job is collecting children's books and we are always in need of baby/toddler books.  Yesterday, someone dropped off donations and one of the books was "Pajama Time".  I read through the book again and it brought up such sweet memories of reading this to my girls when they were little.

What I'm loving.............
Brook being at home for the summer!  I love every minute of her being around. 

What I've been up to............
I have been keeping my 2 year old great niece this week, with Brook's help of course!

What I'm dreading...........
Holidays and a few other major things sadly, however, I'm pressing on in this hard world with hope.

What I'm working on............
I am working on blog posts, reading a book, regular work stuff, cleaning up around my house and trying to maintain the yard in this summer heat.

What I'm excited about...........
I have planned a trip for myself this fall!

What I'm watching/reading............
I am excited that the new season of The Bear comes out today!  I also resumed watching When Calls the Heart this season and enjoyed it.  I had taken 2-3 years off from watching this. I have also been watching a little bit of baseball on tv.
I am reading a book for book club next week!

What I'm listening to.............
I am listening to podcasts and a few random audiobooks, but more about those in next week's book post!

What I'm wearing..............
I am wearing dresses, dresses, and more dresses. I just don't photograph myself often to show what I've worn.

What I'm doing this weekend.............
We have a fun wedding to attend of a dear friend's son. I also hope to do a little more house organizing/cleaning. 

What I'm looking forward to next month...........
I have just a few things on the calendar next month....another wedding to attend, a baseball game and a soccer game.  I always enjoy watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics too! 

What else is new.............
New today is this week's Hodgepodge:
1. What do you think has remained the same about you your whole life? How has your perception of yourself changed over time? 

I am a loyal person and love to keep in touch with people. I love keeping up with old friends!
I realize I am valued and worthy of love for who I am & my identity is in Christ, not fulfilled by anyone else.

2. What was the first thing you learned how to cook? Do you prefer to cook or bake?

The first recipe I learned how to cook is a chicken and rice casserole.  That was my standard go-to for so long. I probably prefer cooking, because I am more nervous about if my baking will turn out okay or not.  But I do enjoy doing both and bake more now since I bake sourdough every week.

3. What are some of your current priorities in this season of life? Elaborate. 

My current priorities are to care for myself. I am caring for myself by trying to get rest, not put pressure on myself to do too much, freedom in saying yes and no's, and by reminding myself of God's promises towards me.  A part of caring for myself helps me to care for my daughters as best I can. 

4. How much time do you spend on your hair each day or, put another way, what's your hair care routine? Do you get it cut regularly or just whenever the mood strikes? Do you go to the same stylist every time? Do you tell your stylist everything? Any other beauty treatments you indulge in throughout the year? 

It depends on the day as to how much time I spend.  If I shampoo/condition my hair in the morning, I usually just dry it, brush it and go.  If I am using dry shampoo, I may using a styling tool, like a straightner to smooth my hair or a curling iron.  Sometimes I will use hot rollers and a few times, I have slept in curlers to have wavy hair in the morning.

My next door neighbor/friend is a hair stylist and has a studio in her home.  I literally walk right next door to get my hair cut and usually just do it when I feel like a I need a haircut.  She is the best neighbor!  

I have just recently seen a few grays appear,so I will spray some highlights in my hair and have started using some styling powder, but I don't use super expenisve products on my hair.

5. What is the most awe-inspiring place you've visited? 

I have been to some beautiful places, but two places come to mind....

In the USA ~ Glacier National Park, Montana

Outside the USA ~ Machu Picchu, Peru *one of the 7 wonders of the world*

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I am tired. I have been going to bed by 9pm every night this week after caring for a 2 year old.  Shout out to all the moms.




15 comments:

  1. Oh yes, caring for a 2 year old is such hard work! LOL. You've earned those early bedtimes (though that is what time I go to bed every night). We can't wait to start watching The Bear tonight-- though I have to say watching the show makes me feel anxious. He's always so stressed out. I don't spend much time on my hair at all but I have been going to the same hairdresser for years and she's learned to schedule my next appointment before I leave or else I can easily go a year without even remembering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I will only pace myself at 1 episode at a time of The Bear. I bet that is fun for y'all to watch with a chef in the family!

      Delete
  2. My parents went to Glacier and their pics were stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a stunning place for sure! Everywhere you look is beautiul scenery.

      Delete
  3. So much good here- where to start? How fun to spend time with family, starting with Brook but also your extended family and parents. Your travel pictures are stunning- I always love to hear about where you´ve been and yah to a solo trip. I drive by myself to see siblings who live far from me but then we do things together once I am there. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so thankful for time with family. I am also thankful for all the travel experiences! Happy Wendesday to you too!

      Delete
  4. I feel you on the early bedtime this week! Two year olds can run circles around the adults in terms of energy. I've never been to Peru but would love to see it. A friend of mine went on a culinary trip there and it sounded wonderful! Caring for yourself in a season where that's needed is a good thing. I've never heard of The Bear so am going to check that one out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can! Peru is a beautiful country. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  5. I used to work as a Nanny and Childcare provider in my home for 30 years, specializing in infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds. I was licensed for six children, in addition to raising my three school-aged sons as a single mom. Looking back, I don't know how I managed, but those were some of the best days of my life. I'm now 70 with no grandchildren in sight, and I don't think I'll have any. It's probably for the best because I'm exhausted. I have good energy during the day but all that changes once I sit down in the evening. It all crashes in on me. I usually wake up around 5:30-6 am and go to bed by 9 pm (I'm actually ready for bed by 8 pm). I rarely take naps because they disrupt my nighttime sleep. Back then, eating fresh foods and getting as much rest as possible gave me the energy I needed. Despite the challenges, those days were filled with good times and beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is amazing you did that and I bet while it was tiring, it did fill you in so many ways.

      Delete
  6. I can't even remember the energy that it takes to care for a toddler. I'm so glad you have made some travel plans for yourself for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get in shape before grandchildren, ha!

      Delete
  7. Girl, I wish I could be in bed by 9PM--I feel like the night is the only time I can get anything done in my house haha!!! My mom watched the boys when I was in the hospital with Merritt and as soon as we got home with her, she went home and went to bed at 4PM LOL!! And I'm with you on When Calls the Heart--I've read the books and I loved the show but I quit watching it after Elizabeth chose Lucas because I didn't feel like she would have done that. Now I'm back to watching it and can't wait for next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine! I am not sure how you do it. I am caring for Nicole's youngest with the help of my daughter and we are both tired, but she is a delight. I am with you on When Calls the Heart! Have a good day!

      Delete
  8. Your little great-niece is such a cutie! I know y'all are having a blast with her! How awesome that you live so close to your hair stylist! Mine literally lives down the street and around the corner and she has a shop built onto her house. I love that it is so convenient! My mom tries to get me to watch When Calls the Heart with her, but I haven't yet. She and my cousin love it!

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...