Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Talking About it Tuesday ~ Cheese, Glorious Cottage Cheese

 Today I am talking about cottage cheese and using it in different recipes.  I am not a fan of cottage cheese by itself, but I have tried a few recipes with it over the last year and am sharing a few of those here with my thoughts.

Cottage Cheese Waffles

2 Tablespoons fat free cottage cheese
2 large eggs
Pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 Tablespoons of cheddar cheese, divided

Puree cottage cheese in blender until smooth.  Add eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Blend well until mixed.

Lightly coat waffle maker with cooking spray.
Add 1 Tablespoon of cheese to the bottom plate.  Add half of egg mixture to the waffle maker.
Top with another tablesppon of cheese.  Cook 2-4 minutes

Makes 2 mini waffles...verdict:  These were just okay for me.  As seldom as I eat waffles, I think I enjoy the Kodiak protein waffles better.


Chocolate Pudding

2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1/3 cup Monk fruit weetner with erythirtol
2 2/3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the sweetner, cocoa powder and vanilla.  Process until well combined, 30 seconds-1 minute.

I added some chocolate chips to mine.  Verdict:  Again for me, this was not bad, but wasn't so great that I thought I would make it as a regular snack. 

Below are my 2 favorite recipes I have made using cottage cheese.  These are both so good and I have made these multiple times!

Cottage Cheese Queso

1 cup cottage cheese, blended smooth
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 Tablespoon taco seasoning

Mix blended cottage cheese, shredded cheese and taco seasoning together.  Heat in microwave until cheese melts and serve with chips.

Egg Bake

1 cup fat free cottage cheese
6 eggs
1 small can chopped green chilis
Optional:  package of bacon bits

Whisk all ingredients together, add seasonings of choice and pour into baking dish sprayed with cooking spray (I used a pie plate).
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges start to brown.

Here are 2 recipes I haven't made yet, but they sound good.

Breakfast Tortilla

3 eggs
1/3 cup cottage cheese
Your favorite veggie toppings
Mozzarella cheese.

salt and pepper
totilla

Spray a pie pan and line it with a tortilla.  Fill it with your favorite ingredients.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are set.

Crustless Vanilla Cheesecake

serves 8

4 cups fat free cottage cheese
2/3 cup Monk fruit sweetner with erythirtol
1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
1 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350. Coat an 8 inch springform pan wiht spray; wrap the outside of the pan with foil.

Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the sweetner, yogurt and vanilla.  Process until well combined.  Add the eggs and mix until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cheese is golden around the edges and still a bit wobbly in the center (about 1 hour 5minutes-15 minutes). Remove the cheesecake and cool to room temperature.

Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled and set, at leasts 3 hours. Remove the sides of the pan.  Cut into 8 slices and top with strawberries or furit of choice.

Have you made another fun recipe with cottage cheese?  





10 comments:

  1. The very best cottage cheese to eat alone (or with some tomato slices) is Good Culture brand. Other than that, I find it hard to eat cottage cheese alone. I love it in the egg bake! I'm very curious about that queso! Oh, and I also use cottage in place of ricotta in my lasagna, pizza bowls, and zucchini lasagna bowls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for that brand! Yes, it is a great substitution for ricotta and other things too. That egg bake is really good.

      Delete
  2. I use cottage cheese in an egg bake too. I also use it in our lasagnas in place of ricotta cheese. I have a WW Tuscan pasta dish that uses cottage cheese that has been thrown through the blender and I love that (https://mycrazygoodlife.com/weight-watchers-tuscan-chicken-pasta/).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good protein substitution. Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  3. I love cottage cheese, and think it is so "retro" that it is having a moment again. It makes me think of my mom making cottage cheese toast for me back in the day. I know that Jack made the c.c. queso for his high protein diet and loved it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, glad he liked. Yes, I like this kick much better than the cauliflower kick, ha!

      Delete
  4. I don´t care for cottage cheese at all! The Pioneer Woman´s lasagna recipe calls for it so I made it with cottage cheese. The PW assured readers that they wouldn´t be able to tell cottage cheese was in it. WRONG! I could tell and it was hard for me to eat the lasagna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I couldn't tell a huge difference between that and ricotta. It isn't for everyone though.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved reading this blog post! The diverse ways you've incorporated cottage cheese into various recipes are truly inspiring, especially for someone like me who is always looking for healthy and creative cooking ideas. The Cottage Cheese Queso and Egg Bake are definitely on my must-try list. They sound delicious and easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights.

    As for another fun recipe with cottage cheese, I've tried making cottage cheese pancakes. Just blend cottage cheese with eggs, a bit of flour, and a pinch of baking powder. Cook them like regular pancakes, and they turn out fluffy and packed with protein. They're a great breakfast option and taste amazing with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey! Keep up the fantastic work and keep sharing these delightful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! The queso and egg bake are my favorites too! Thanks for sharing the pancake recipe too. It sounds yummy! Have a grea day!

      Delete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...