Hi friends. Today I am linking up with Joyce for Hodgepodge and Amy for Currently. Here we go!
1. What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to doing?
I wanted to take a day to go to a state park and go kayaking. I may try to make that happen this fall though. The summer got away from me and now I need it to cool down during the day.
2. Were you the student who sat in the front row or hid in the back of the class? If you could go back and take one high school class again just for fun, which would it be?
I wasn't a front row girl, but I don't remember hiding in the back. My maiden name begins with a "W", so if it was an alphabetical seating chart, I was in the back. If I could take a class again, it would probably be anatomy and physiology. I liked that subject the best. However, based on teachers, it would be my senior English teacher.
3. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher (this can be applied to anyone who teaches, not just classroom teachers)?
Patience, classroom management, & listening to your students come to mind. I have only subbed, so I have never been a full time teacher. However, my sister has been a teacher for almost 40 years and my father was a college professor for over 45 years. They are both very good at what they do.
4. September 2nd is National Grits Day. Have you ever eaten grits? Are you a fan? If so how do you like yours? Would people describe you as 'having grit'?
I do like grits, but rarely eat them. I would prefer shrimp and grits over plain grits. I think people would describe me as having grit for pressing on with learning to enjoy my life again after an unwanted divorce. I did not let this deter my bucket list trip I went on this summer. The 4 days by myself were very empowering. I felt like Rocky after these 4 days, ha!
5. What's something you're never too old or too young to enjoy?
Dancing comes to mind!
This is a picture of my daughters from a wedding reception this summer where we had so much fun!
On our cruise this summer, we got in the cruise video they played on the ship because we were front and center at the ABBA sing a long party where we sang and danced. We also went to a dance party the last night that was fun!
I still take dance lessons, but go every 2-3 weeks. I love this and do mostly latin dances, but I do enjoy some of the traditional ballroom dances too.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I purchased this set of pictures from Mixtiles to have memories from my trip and I love them! Brook hung them for me last weekend and I have enjoyed looking at them so much. I had been waiting for the right picture/pictures for above my sofa.
I also framed these 2 pictures from my trip:
This is the picture of me driving across the bridge that represented me living life at new heights.
And this picture below is my picture taken at the Squamish River on the day that meant so much to me. I hung this up in my bedroom.
And now on to Currently!

Adjusting (to)
I feel like I am always adjusting to being a single person. I am doing okay, but it is an adjustment. After a long marriage and trying dating, let's just say it is an adjustment to this new stage.
Baking/Cooking
With fall approaching, I am inspired to bake and cook more. Y'all know I bake sourdough, which I enjoy and usually do every 2 weeks, depending on if I give away any bread or not!
I made some pesto chicken last weekend that was very tasty. The recipe consisted of mixing a block of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of pesto sauce. I spread that over chicken breasts and then sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top. I baked it at 375 for 30-40 minutes and it was perfect.
I also bought some tilapia from Trader Joe's last week. I like tilapia, but had never cooked any. I usually just cook salmon or shrimp when it comes to seafood. I coated the tilapia in parmesan cheese, oat flour, garlic, salt and pepper. I cooked it in my air fryer at 400 for about 20 minutes and it was tender and so light. I need to do this more often!
I also made a quick dinner one night with ground turkey mixed with my homemade cheese dip. The cheese dip is cottage cheese mixed well so it is smooth, mixed with cheddar/mexican cheese and taco seasoning. It was all tasty and I ate this with chips.
Decorating
I haven't done it yet, but I will be decorating for Fall soon. I think I will do that in a few weekends when the temperature is below 90.
Balancing
Time on my own, family and friends - I enjoy all of these so it is balancing and learning when to say yes and no.
Learning
I am always learning grace and peace for myself in relationships and work.
Here's hoping your week is going well and thanks for reading!
I love all your framed trip photos! It's so important to get those photos up around the house where we can see them. Your tilapia recipe sounds yummy. I don't cook that often; we tend to eat more pollock (that my husband and Ian catch), salmon, shrimp, or even scallops.
ReplyDeleteThanks Joanne! I am loving them.
DeleteThat image from Rocky!! Speaking of images- I am intrigued by Mixtiles- I've been seeing them a lot. Yours looks so good hanging about your couch. What a great way to often be reminded of your trip. How neat to frame two pictures with special meaning/symbolism. I'm glad you're taking dance lessons again and agree that you're never too old or young to dance. The picture from the cruise video is great!
ReplyDeleteIt is worth looking into and Mixtiles has lots of different options. Love my dance lessons!
DeleteMy kids loved tilapia with cajun seasoning baked in the oven but broiled for the last couple of minutes. We had that with couscous and broccoli, I think.
ReplyDeleteI love taking meaningful trip photos and blowing them up/printing them to use as decor. Good job doing that for your above sofa decor.
The tilapia with cajun seasoning sounds good. Thanks Amy!
DeleteI loved all of your answers to everything today! I definitely think you have more grit than most people I know. I love the meme about traveling more and being bad at dating. It made me laugh! Your dinner with the meat and cheese dip sounds delicious! I'm grateful we have each other; I love you, friend.
ReplyDeleteI try to keep a laugh when it comes to dating :). Thanks friend and same!
DeleteYou are a rock star- so impressed with your solo traveling- I need to do that eventually when I have the courage- LOVE LOVE the Mixtiles- just ordered a few for our bathroom- they are drawings of our dog - will post when we get them. I am inspired now to do more walls with family memories- I think it looks fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThanks and love that you ordered some too and will look forward to seeing them.
DeleteAll of your food sounds good, especially the meat with cottage cheese mix. I loved the meme about travel/dating! You definitely have plenty of grit - you've been through a lot! All of your new photo decor is so nice and adds lots of meaning to your apartment.
ReplyDeleteThanks friend!
DeleteI do think you have grit! I have Mixtiles photos too - they are great!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate it Dara!
DeleteI hope you get to go kayaking soon.
ReplyDeleteAnatomy and physiology sound like such interesting subjects to take! Patience is such a big one when it comes to being a teacher.
Good on you for going on your trip by yourself. I imagine it did feel very empowering.
Dancing is a great answer for question 5! I dance most days, just around the kitchen while I am cooking tea!
The pictures above your sofa look fantastic and I love the bridge one and the meaning behind it.
I like cooking more at this time of year and baking too.
Me too. Thanks Kim. Yes to dancing in the kitchen! These pictures will forever be a reminder to me to keep going on when things seem hard.
DeleteThis was a fun read! I prefer shrimp and grits to plain grits as well. I'm also proud of your grit! I know this has been such a life-altering time for you, but I am so proud of how you are pushing through, growing, and making a good life for yourself.
ReplyDeleteYes ma'am! Thank you Mandy. I appreciate the kind words and hope you're doing well!
DeleteI love Mixtiles! I have some printed from every trip and they line a hallway upstairs. Yours look great!! I forgot to answer the second part of the question - what class would I like to take. I loved Senior English - Mrs. Studdard was my teacher and she was tough . . .but I was a good student and she liked me. I learned a lot!
ReplyDeleteThat is so fun you have Mixtiles from your travels! I love the idea of having these from a special trip.
DeleteI love your Mixtiles wall. You definitely have grit! And I agree, you're never too young or old to dance. We have kayaks if you venture to the lake one of these days : )
ReplyDeleteI love all your framed photos. And I need to remember to buy tilapia more. I always go for the salmon.
ReplyDelete