Monday, January 27, 2014

Update & Gent/Ghent/Gint

Happy Monday!  It is a new week & a full one ahead for us.  This week we have our language training, where we don't actually learn a language, but we learn how to learn a language!  It will be full days for us, but we are looking forward to it. Isabella will be able to participate in this part of our training too.  Last week was the hardest week for me so far.  I had bad headaches 2 days, & also just a harder time living in community.  Basically, I have been slapped in the face with sin & new realities.  I am thankful for some good friends here though & prayers from home.

Late Friday afternoon, our family went to Gent.  Or how it is written in other languages:

Gent - German & Dutch
Ghent - French
Gint - Flemish

You normally see at least 3 spelling for words here, especially for the cities.

Depending on the train you take, the ride to Gent is 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours.  We took the 1 hour there & 1 1/2 hour train back so we didn't have to change trains. Including walking to the station, & a tram ride from the station in Gent to the city center. it is safe to say it is at least 2 hours from where we are staying.  We actually just spent 2 hours there, but then had to wait an hour at the train station to catch the train home. We enjoyed a waffle & hot chocolate while we waited though!  I took a lot of pictures for just 2 hours in the city.

Belfry tower

Covered bridge next to the tower


European girls



Frozen yogurt!
But they are closed in the winter :(

Avery & the girls in front of the city center listening to music

We found a castle!

The doors leading into the castle

Door details





The neatest little area of Gent


One of my favorite pictures




I tried to take more people pictures this time instead of just scenery.

My best meal all month...steak, small salad, & fries!

To you, this may look like just a shoe...
but these are chocolate shoes!!

the covered bridge at night

being silly in the train station while waiting for our ride home



No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...