Monday, August 22, 2016

Weekend Wrap Up

We've made it to another Monday.  They sure come early.  Here's what we did over the weekend:

There was a City-to-City conference in Bogota this weekend that MTW helped sponsor.  We went early Friday night to help with food preparation and to eat dinner.  Once the introductions were done for the conference, my plan was to come on home for 2 reasons.  The conference itself was to last 3 hours (all in Spanish) and also I walked out the door when Isabella came home, so I wanted to be home Friday night with the girls.  When I was done with my part, I tried to get a taxi, but had no luck.  So I walked to the Transmilenio (bus) station, although I didn't have on my most comfortable walking shoes.  I waited 20 minutes on a bus to my stop.  I decided to go to another stop (because we live between 2 stops), but that bus was sooo full.  I then decided to walk.  I left the station (which I had already paid to enter), took off my shoes, walked in my socks down the sidewalks of Bogota in the dark (remember it is dark early here). I thought, if my family and friends could see me now! At this point, it had been 45 minutes since I left the church where the conference was being held and I could still see it across the street!  I walked to the next bus stop and thought I would see if I could catch a bus from there.  I entered the station and waited about 5 minutes.  I had texted Avery by this time.  He saw the message, called me and told me to wait there. He was able to get a taxi from the church, I walked out of the bus station back to the street and he came to pick me up and we went home.  So I arrived home one hour and 15 minutes later after I left the church, which is 2 1/2 miles from our home.  I felt like I had been out all day, so it didn't take long to decide I wasn't going back for the Saturday morning session of the conference. Anyway, here is a photo from Friday night:



So Saturday, we did nothing. Well, I ordred pizza for us to have for lunch, watched a Hallmark movie and did school planning for Brook next week. It was pretty relaxing.

Sunday, we headed down to United for chuch and went out to eat for lunch.  We are working our way trying out restaruants in the area. Yesterday we went to a unique, comfort food restaurant.  Avery and I had been there a couple of times, but the girls had never been and they liked it. Once we arrived, a group from church came in to eat, who were mostly all ECA teachers.  So, Isabella's world history teacher was at the next table.  Our good friends, the Beckers (who have 3 kids close in age like I am with John and Lynn), were with the group.  They ran out of room for the youngest at their table, so I said to send her to us.  Gabbie sat with us, but most of the time, she actually fell asleep and rested her head on the table.  

Gabbie looking very tired

Our comfort food.....tomato soup, onion rings, french fries, chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese and a grilled cheese.  Not Colombian food at all!

And for dessert....fried oreos and the "Brookie" (brownie, chocolate chip cookie, and ice cream)
The Brookie was actually pretty decent and the best brownie/cookie I've had in Bogota.

An inside look at the fried Oreo.  It felt like we were eating food from the state fair and it tasted like an Oreo inside a beignet.  Needless to say, I didn't eat anything else the rest of the day!

I did meet with my good friend Sarah at the mall afterwards and got some hot chocolate though.  It was good to have a visit with my friend one-on-one.

Today is pretty routine here.  Isabella is already on her way to school.  Tonight, we have a team social (dinner and movie) to celebrate a teammate's birthday, so we will go to that, but the girls will stay home.  

Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...