Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Birthday & Chicago Part 2

Good morning!  I hope your week is going well.  In case you missed my late post Monday, I shared about part 1 of my trip to Chicago.  Today, I will pick up with 11/11.
Saturday morning, I woke up to spend my 53rd birthday in Chicago.
Chicago is such a fun city!
We stopped at Starbucks to redeem my free drink!
There were so many beautiful buildings as we walked and shopped along Michigan Ave, the Magnificent Mile!
John Hancock building
We stopped at Ghiradelli and this was my lunch/birthday dessert.  This was the sea salt caramel sundae:
caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream, handmade dark chocolate hot fudge topped with whipped cream, sea salt and a dark sea salt caramel.  It was delicious!  I tried to get something I probably wouldn't make at home.
After spending the morning walking and shopping, we took an architectural boat cruise down the river to learn more about the buildings.  It was so interesting to know these buildings were all built within the last 150 years after the great fire of Chicago.
If you're a Seinfeld fan, you will remember the episode name which was on the side of this boat "The Summer of George"!
This is the Willis Tower and you can barely see in this picture the ledge where we were standing the day prior.
This is the NBC Building that is based on Rockefeller Center in New York City.
This is the tallest building (below) in the world designed by a female architect.  Notice it has 2 floors that are open for the wind to pass through.  My youngest daughter is an architect major!
Navy Pier in the daylight

I am wearing my 11:11 bracelet all month in honor of my birthday month!
We walked and ate dinner at House of Blues and listened to some blues muisc.
Chicago never felt very crowded and it was easy to walk most everywhere downtown.
They were beginning to put up Christmas displays, but all of their festivites really begin this weekend.
I would love to go back and take the girls and do a shopping/Christmas weekend here like we did in New York City last year.  

I will be back Friday with a few more favorites/birthday items.
Enjoy your day!


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like it was such a fun trip! I'm so glad you two got to do this together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really packed a lot into a weekend trip! We went to Chicago for Thanksgiving 2014, and it was so cold. I remember they had European style Christmas markets going on. I remember the trip also because it was the first time we ever rode in an Uber. I wasn't so sure about the concept at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing all the photos. Chicago looks like a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...