Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Talking About it Tuesday ~ June 18, 2024/Serving Tuesday

 Good morning.  I am linking up with Joanne today talking about serving on a Tuesday.


Once a month on a Tuesday, I serve breakfast at the local children's hospital, along with the rest of my work team.  We serve local doughnuts and have 250 Chick-fil-A doughnuts donated to serve.  It is a joy to serve families in the hospital.  Here I am last Tuesday morning bright and early serving.

Later that evening, I picked up Brook and we went to volunteer and serve dinner at a local ministry called Service Over Self, better known as SOS.  From their website, "SOS exists to glorify God by proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ in underserved neighborhoods through home repair and leadership development."  This ministry hosts high school campers who replace roofs in a low income neighborhood.  We go in and serve dinner to the campers and staff after their day outside working. 
(Yep, that is my neck fan I am holding!)

Our family worked with this organization for 5 years when our girls were little.  I even worked in the kitchen one summer as the camp cook!
The girls use to come to the ktichen with me and help in little ways.  We had to re-create this picture of Brook sweeping the floor.


Also, this guy loved on our girls when they were little bitty.  He is still working there, has an amazing testimony of how the Lord changed His life and we also had to re-create a picture with him.

It was such a fun night and I am thankful to be volunteering again this summer with this organization!
I encourage you to find a place to volunteer and it is especially rewarding to do this with your child. 



11 comments:

  1. Aw, both of those sounds like such wonderful organizations and it is so sweet of you to volunteer like this and to teach your children to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful for these opportunities to give back to the community!

      Delete
  2. I love this, and you are right about service and volunteering with your family. Our family used to volunteer and serve at Street Reach, in an area of inner city Memphis, which is also called Brinkley Heights Urban Academy. Our teenagers from church would go there for one week (Sunday-Friday) and host Bible club at sites that were assigned to churches in the surrounding areas, and then we would do service projects which could be anything from yard clean-up to leading kids at the local rec center for three hours. It was one of the most rewarding things we ever did, and I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have a friend who use to teach there so I am familiar with that. That is great y'all did that.

      Delete
  3. For more years than I can count, my family and I (in my high school and college years) co-ran a soup kitchen called The Lord's Table on Saturday mornings. At the time it began, it was the only soup kitchen in the area serving on Saturdays. It was very rewarding. It's been a very long time since I did that and keep thinking I need to do something like that again. Your post reminds me I need to find somewhere to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opportunity and I am sure other places would welcome you to volunteer with them, especially for such a fulfilling role.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to volunteer. I love how you recreated the photos of your girl! Your outfit is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love recreating pictures like that! Way to go for serving with SOS for so many years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful organizations. Your post brightened my day and made me smile. I love the photos of your girls and their friend at the end.
    Visiting today from Talking About It Tuesday 25 #40,41&42.

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...