Good morning. I am sharing a little bit today of my sourdough bread journey!
My original love of sourdough came from a visit to San Francisco many years ago where I ate fresh sourdough bread. Fast forward from the 90's to last year....
There is a sourdough bakery about 45 minutes from me that I began to visit each time I went to see my sister. The variations of loaves were of course delicious, but I was also so intrigued by all the discard pastries they sold.....sea salt focaccia bread, waffles, sourdough chocolate chip cookies & sourdoodles (think snickerdoodles, but made with sourdough starter).
After Christmas, a co-worker shared some starter with me and her recipe. I began in January making my own sourdough loaves each week. Since then, it is still a learning process. I have tweaked my instructions some after talking with another friend who began baking sourdough and through a few websites.
I have made sourdough popovers, sourdough crackers, sourdough cookies & sourdough pizza crust all with sourdough discard. Other than making loaves, I have also made focaccia muffins, which were a favorite!
Admittedly, I feel like I have been hit or miss with some of my loaves this summer. I have had a few weeks where the loaves don't rise as much (I bake 2 loaves each week). The difference has been the temperature of the house and the timing it takes to reach its peak before forming the bread and then baking. It took a lot longer in the winter, which is when I learned, due to the colder temperature.
However, even when the bread hasn't risen as well, it still tastes good! If I can tell it may not rise as well due to the texture, I have made the focaccia flatbread and muffins, which I like just as much.
Hint: Baking the dough in muffin tins or a bread pan will force the bread to rise more!
This has really been a fun hobby to learn and share with others. I have shared starter with 2 friends, one being our friend, Jennifer. Jenn has really done a great job of designing her bread!
I have really enjoyed being able to share bread with friends and family. Just last week, I delivered some to my neighbor who had surgery. I have given her a few loaves prior to this one. I have also shared some with friends at church and family members. It has been fun to send back with my girls after they visit at home too.
For baking, I have used a mix of unbleached all purpose flour, bread flour and Einkorn flour, which has more protein in it. I purchase this off Amazon and recently bought this on Prime Days.
I also purchased these breadmaking tools from Amazon Prime:
Here are 2 websites I have found to be helpful if you would like to start your journey along with some pictures from my baking journey:Go enjoy some sourdough when you can!

Such a yummy post! I love sourdough and have toyed with the idea of making bread each week but I am so afraid I'd end up eating more of it. LOL
ReplyDeleteYes, well, that is a problem for me, ha, but one of my better problems right now :)
DeleteGreat post! I agree with Joanne. Bread is my weakness so I would not have any control. I think it's such a kind gesture to bake for others, though!
ReplyDeleteI am thankful when I can give some away for sure! Thanks!
DeleteFun post but I have a burning question- what do the sourdough chocolate chip cookies taste like? Sour? I make a no knead bread that looks a lot like your sourdough bread and tastes delicious. I think that is what is keeping me from dipping my toes in the sourdough water. But I do enjoy looking at your pictures and reading about your processes with the bread!
ReplyDeleteI am sure that no knead bread is just as good! the sourdough chocolate chip cookies don't taste sour, but the sourdough starter does give it a unique taste. Honestly, it has been a while since I have had one, so maybe I will do that soon and report back to you! I know it is basically the same ingredients as making cookies, but you also add a little sourdough starter.
DeleteEnjoyed your post. I've been considering getting some starter (my sister has some), but I'm not really sure I want to commit to making bread all the time. Honestly, hubby and I don't eat much bread any more. Even so, I have enjoyed watching you and Jennifer posting photos of your breads! My mom used to make it and so, I know it's delicious! Have a good day!
ReplyDeleteIt is good, but it is a commitment! I have to plan out my timing of when I bake. I usually just bake once a week, but could wait 2 weeks. Thanks and you too!
DeleteYou have really mastered the art of yummy looking bread. I gave the sourdough craze a try but no one in my family (other than me) really liked it....so I was eating entire loaves! Not good!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! We all love it, but yes, it is good to share or it would be too much.
DeleteI also fell in love with sourdough bread after a trip to San Fran with my dad as a young girl; he and I shared a love of this! He would have loved to taste mine and I'm sad that I never got to share any with him. Your loaves are gorgeous! I need to research discard recipes. Thanks for sharing this with me! It's the best gift I've been given in a long time. I'm looking forward to baking day this week!
ReplyDeleteI really want to try making some sourdough bread, but it looks complicated! Haha! I will save these websites and see if I might can give it a whirl! Your bread looks so delicious!
ReplyDelete