Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Talking About it Tuesdays/Elvis ~ August 20, 2024

Today's post is all about Elvis, the King of Rock-n-Roll!  

If you are new here or maybe not, here is a refresher on me and my connection to Elvis.  I was born in Memphis, TN, actually in the same hospital where Lisa Maire Presley was born and where Elvis died.  I grew up listening to Elvis music and he was my first concert I attended in July 1976, which was his last concert in Memphis.  Elvis passed away August 16, 1977, 47 years ago last Thursday.  Every year, there is a candlelight vigil at Graceland on the eve of his death.  Thousands of people line up and walk up the driveway with a candle to see where he is buried.

When I was in college, I worked at Graceland as a tour guide during my summers.  It was such a fun summer job!  A lot of people in this area did that as summer jobs.  If you tour now, there is a headset you wear and listen to information as you go throughout the mansion tour and other areas.  So much has changed, including the price of admission!  

Now to current day, my daughter and I decided last week we would go to the candlelight vigil.  I had only been once before, and that was when I worked at Graceland.  Here are pictures from last Thursday night!


Prior to going, we had been to dinner at my sister's with all the kiddos.  We listened to Elvis radio of course on the way to Graceland and this classic was playing.  Do you know that Elvis was nominated for 12 Grammy awards and the 3 he won were all for his gospel music?
We are coming for you Graceland!
Oh the sights we saw...lots of people who were dressed the part in addition to some sidewalk art
We stood in line outside the fence for an hour, then another hour in the driveway.  It was a hot night, but there were water stands along the way.
I had my neck fan with me!
They gave everyone candles and there was a torch to light them once you entered the driveway.
Notice how much our candles had burned down quickly!  I blew mine out halfway up the hill and re-lit it once I got to meditation gardens.
Here we are in our shirts in front of Graceland.
Elvis's grandmother and parents are buried here too and there is a marker for his twin brother that died at birth.
This is Elvis' grave below.  There are so many flowers and stuffed animals that are left during this time.
Our sad faces
As you circle around, this is where Benjamin Keough, Lisa Marie's son, and Lisa Marie Presley are buried.  
So many fan clubs from around the world send flower sprays.  This attracts so many international fans, which is so interesting because Elvis never toured outside the USA.
We made it down the hill back to the famous musical gates around 11:30.  When we got home at midnight, I took a shower because although there were some breezes, the humidity was so much and we just felt gross after standing outside for 3 hours.  There had been a pre-show before we ever stood in line.
It was a fun memory to make with Brook and she can check that off her bucket list!  Although, I'm not sure it was ever on her bucket list, ha!  

Are you an Elvis fan?  










 

22 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a neat experience. I do like Elvis' songs but I never knew much about him as a person until watching the latest Elvis movie and I'm not sure how accurate that even was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty accurate, but obviously, some Hollywood liberties were taken as well. Austin Butler did such a great job as Elvis!

      Delete
  2. I just think his voice is phenomenal and when Tom flips to his old movies I can't believe how handsome he was. No wonder he was such a heartthrob! I think it's so cool that you did this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was and yes, he was turning heads with his good looks!

      Delete
  3. I like his music pretty well. It is not something I would go out of my way to listen to but I do like it. He and his music are iconic. I think I like the idea or the history of him and his music, if that makes sense. I would like to see Graceland someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His music is iconic and set the stage for just about everything we have now. It is a sight to see!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, so I hope we can still be friends. I loved, however, reading this blog post! What a fun night for you and Brooke. I know y'all felt gross after that time outside; it was terribly hot that whole day! I'm so glad you have this memory to look back on; neither of you will ever forget it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm......of course :). It was fun, even though it was sticky hot on an August night!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading about the Elvis candlelight vigil. I never saw Elvis perform, but I used to love to watch his movies. Then in the early 90's, we took our church youth group to International Church of God Youth Convention in Memphis. While there we took a tour of Graceland. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His movies were entertaining! Oh, that is so fun!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an interesting experience. Super happy that you got to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting that you were born in the same hospital as LM. I'm an Elvis fan (although not fanatical) and still remember when he died. Also that is interesting that he never toured outside of the US. I love your last comment about the bucket list...ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he performed in Louisiana and Texas quite a bit. Yes, things I think should be on my girls bucket lists aren't really there :).

      Delete
  8. This sounds like fun. My hubs was born in Germany and Elvis was in the same hospital having his appendix removed. That's his Elvis connection lol. Our bucket list and our kids are not always in sync : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much of an Elvis fan but my. mom is - and she and her girlfriends are taking a trip to Graceland this fall for their 80th birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool experience! My dad is a diehard Elvis fan so he would have been all over this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is neat to hear! It is a fun, but unusual sight to see if he can ever make it for the yearly event.

      Delete
  11. I'm new to your blog and reading through your August posts to start. I inherited my Elvis love from both of my parents and was fortunate to see him in concert twice. Sadly, the second time was his final concert before his death (in Indianapolis). My husband and I took a trip to Memphis in 2018 and did tour Graceland and it impressed me more than I anticipated. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie! Thanks for stopping by and reading! So glad this Elvis post could bring some great memories for you :). That is so cool you saw that last concert in Indianapolis. Yes, I think the tour is quite impressive to see and glad y'all enjoyed Graceland. So glad to have you here and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...