Thursday, April 3, 2025

Share Your Shelf ~ April 2025

 Hi friends!  It is the monthly Share Your Shelf to share books you have been reading.  

Join in on the link below!


These are the 2 books I am currently reading this month:

An emotional, rousing novel inspired by the incredible true story of two giraffes who made headlines and won the hearts of Depression-era America.

“Few true friends have I known and two were giraffes…”

Woodrow Wilson Nickel, age 105, feels his life ebbing away. But when he learns giraffes are going extinct, he finds himself recalling the unforgettable experience he cannot take to his grave.

It’s 1938. The Great Depression lingers. Hitler is threatening Europe, and world-weary Americans long for wonder. They find it in two giraffes who miraculously survive a hurricane while crossing the Atlantic. What follows is a twelve-day road trip in a custom truck to deliver Southern California’s first giraffes to the San Diego Zoo. Behind the wheel is the young Dust Bowl rowdy Woodrow. Inspired by true events, the tale weaves real-life figures with fictional ones, including the world’s first female zoo director, a crusty old man with a past, a young female photographer with a secret, and assorted reprobates as spotty as the giraffes.

Part adventure, part historical saga, and part coming-of-age love story, West with Giraffes explores what it means to be changed by the grace of animals, the kindness of strangers, the passing of time, and a story told before it’s too late.

It’s all starting to come together for struggling artist Sadie Montgomery. She was just named a finalist in the national portrait competition of her dreams. But when she winds up with a rare, but real, condition where human faces look like jumbled puzzle pieces . . . it is, to say the least, not good.

With only a few weeks to paint the best portrait of her entire life, Sadie will do anything to reverse her condition and get back to work, but it’s anyone’s guess when (or even if) that'll happen.

Enter her dog’s charming veterinarian (who may or may not be Sadie’s daydream fiancĂ©), and her bowling-jacket-wearing, Vespa-riding neighbor (who she can’t seem to stay away from)―both vying for her attention and adding to the chaos.

It’s a lot, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Because the truth is, seeing the world differently has its upsides. And love has an undeniable way of giving us courage. And the best way of looking is always, always with the heart.


Have a great Thursday and hope those of you who are getting stormy weather are staying safe.

 You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

10 comments:

  1. The giraffe book sounds good! I hope you guys are staying safe, too. Our tornado sirens went off last night at 1:00 am but thankfully not for long and we just experienced high wind and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are getting lots rain and flooded streets.

      Delete
  2. I loved West With Giraffes. My book club read it last year and it's a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Hello, Stranger! I liked West With Giraffes too since it was a part of history I had never heard of but did think it was a little slow moving at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Stranger sounds good! I'll have to add that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked West With Giraffe's! I love anything that blends history in with a good story!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...