Tuesday, May 20, 2025

Tuesday Talk ~ May 20, 2025/Dancing

 As most of you know, I have been taking dancing lessons recently.  Today, I am sharing a little more insight on my dancing experience!

Let me go back a few years, well maybe about 45-50 years ago.  I took dance lessons as a child and grew up in a home filled with music.  We had both an organ and a piano in our home and my dad played both.  My mom had a collection of albums and she often played the radio in the house. I have always enjoyed music and dancing.  Post college, I spent a summer taking ballroom dancing lessons at Fred Astaire and it was so fun.  

Since having girls, they also have grown up around music and dancing.  This is a picture of the girls and Edwin, whom I always call my Colombian son, dancing when we lived in South America.  The latinos really enjoy dancing!  This is the 3 of them doing Just Dance, which we did often while living there.
There was also lots of dancing at Isabella's quince party. Below is Isabella and Edwin again.
Fast forward 8 years to a family cruise where we all enjoyed the silent disco.

We have so many fun memories dancing at wedding receptions.  Below is Brook with her cousin at my niece's wedding 2 years ago.

I began taking dance lessons last fall again at a local place.  This is a ballroom/latin dance studio. Outside of a few weeks, I have gone once a week and it has been so fun.  I have learned rhumba, foxtrot, tango, waltz, swing, and cha-cha.
My teacher is from the Ukraine and has been a delight.  He is so patient and such a good teacher!  I have enjoyed the mental challenge, the physical activity and touch, and the laughter I had each time I went.  For now, I am pausing private lessons, but so grateful I did this.  I hope to go from time to time to group lessons they have. Here are some snapshots from my last lesson.

Have you ever taken dance lessons as an adult? I encourage you to follow up on a hobby or interest you have always wanted to try. 

See you back here tomorrow and then Friday!





20 comments:

  1. Fun! I enjoyed reading about your history/love of music for your whole life. The pictures of your dancing with your partner are so good. I love that you took lessons. Oh goodness, no, for me and dancing. I have two left feet! I wouldn't mind taking lessons in some area that I think I could potentially actually improve at- maybe photography or something like that. I will take dance lessons vicariously through you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh photography would be a field I feel like there is always something to learn and a fun hobby to practice. You do so good at this already! I have enjoyed dancing for sure. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Dancing really has been a big part of your life. The lessons you have sound great and like a lot of fun! I have two left feet so dancing isn't for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is wonderful and I firmly believe Americans do not dance enough! I wish I were a better dancer. Tom is really good. We took lessons before our wedding and he was way better than me. I hope you can get back to lessons or that you can find a salsa night or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope to keep it up from time to time! Yes, we need to be dancing more. That is one thing I love about the latino culture.

      Delete
  4. This is so amazing Marilyn! Sounds so so fun! You look so graceful and love that you did this for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! And look at you finally getting it written. I don't know why we couldn't do this together last night. Did we have too much other stuff to catch up on?! 🤣 I loved all the pics of your girls, and I could remember this all over again as I looked at the pictures I took of you and Dennis last week. I'm so glad you did this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for coming to take pictures and watch!

      Delete
  6. I've always been tempted to sign up for dance classes but never had the guts. you're my hero for taking the jump!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you talk about how much music and dance has been a part of your life. I took dance as a kid, but wasn't very coordinated. I loved dancing in my 20's to pop and country music at clubs. I kind of forgot about that until we took our family trip to cancun a few years ago and had so much fun dancing with the whole family on New Year's Eve. It's good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good for the soul! And family dancing is the best!

      Delete
  8. I have taken ballroom dance lessons for 20 years and hope to never stop. When people find out abut my dancing, some say they have always wanted to do that; and I ask them, why haven't you? I'm glad you did and hope you will not stop. Keep using what you have learned and build on it. Group lessons are a wonderful way to learn more and improve. Happy dancing and thanks for the linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's awesome! I hope to keep it up from time to time, just can't afford it on a weekly basis anymore. It is so fun!

      Delete
  9. I think it's great you revisited something you enjoyed in your childhood and made it happen in your current life. I like to dance and my hubs is an excellent dancer which helps. He has natural rhythm, hears music in his head, and is coordinated and not shy so completely comfortable on the dance floor. I seem like a better dancer than I am because of him lol. I love music but there's not a lot of it in my DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun! I haven't taken dance lessons since I was in high school but I danced with other older adults and retirees since I was a beginner and there were no beginner classes in my age group. I loved it and I loved the ladies I danced with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so proud of you for doing this! I love dancing and wish I had the opportunity to do it here. I took dancing from the time I was 3-14, then switched to cheerleading. I even took tap dancing class for adults a few summers ago and it was a lot harder than when I was a child. I'm glad you enjoyed your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE that you are doing this. You have really inspired me to start looking around locally to see what kinds of lessons we have here for adults. Live music and dancing are my two favorite things to do, and I rarely have opportunities to dance anymore now that I'm an adult. I think it would be so rewarding to take actual lessons!

    ReplyDelete

Celebrity Edge

  Hi.  This post is all about the Celebrity Edge, the ship I sailed on to Alaska.  This is the description from the internet: The Celebrity ...