Wednesday, June 18, 2025

Hodgepodge ~ June 18, 2025

 Good morning!  Today is all about summer on the Hodgepodge!


1. Summer officially begins this week (in the northern hemisphere)...what was your favorite thing to do in the summer when you were a kid? What do you like most about summer now? 

My favorite childhood activity was to go to the local swimming pool, ride bikes with my friends, and play outside.  I also took a family vacation every year.  We had a camper and made such great memories.  Now, my favorite thing about summer is spending time with my sister and her family around the pool, hopefully seeing a beach at some point, and less traffic driving to work!

2.  Something you'll celebrate this summer? 

I will celebrate hopefully every day the gift of my daughters, family & friendships! 

3. Summer tastes like? Smells like? Sounds like? 

Summer taste like key lime pie, fruits, frozen yogurt and grilled food.  It smells like honeysuckle!  There was a honeysuckle vine at my childhood home and that is a smell of summer to me.  It sounds like fans running at all times, ha!

4. June 18th is National Splurge Day...what's the last thing you splurged on? What might you splurge on today? 

Well mercy, I feel like I splurge a lot! My splurges are on random Amazon items, which I will being doing a post on soon.  These aren't necessarily expensive items, but some things I probably didn't "need"!

5. Share a favorite summer quote, saying, song lyric, or meme. 

The first thing that came to mind was the song by Don Henley, "Boys of Summer".  

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I live in the South and it does get hot and humid here.  I have lived here most of my life so this is normal summer weather for me.  The past few years however, I have come to realize I can deal with the heat, but y'all, the bugs drive me crazy!  The mosquitos especially, but also the flies and any other creatures.  That is my random summer rant, ha!

Happy Wednesday friends!



19 comments:

  1. Ugh! Every year I forget just how bad the bugs and mosquitoes are... until late spring rolls around and I just want to stay inside and away from them all. I don't, of course, but it definitely makes me think twice sometimes about even venturing outside. This year in particular they seem quite vicious and large and abundant and I'm assuming it's because it's been so darn wet and rainy and there are stagnant pools of water all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mosquitoes have to be some of the worst flying insects! Ugh, so much rain doesn't help.

      Delete
  2. "The Boys of Summer" sounds like summer to me, too! Your kid summer memories sound really nice- oh to be that carefree again :). Bugs are a big bummer about summer! One bug flying into my mouth while running is one bug too many- it has happened more times than I'd care to admit over the years {shudders}. Have a great, bug free day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also had a pop up camper. We started with an older one and then upgraded to one with AC for my mom! We took it to Michigan and Florida and a few places in between. I think it made my Dad really happy. I still remember what it smelled like.
    I am ok with bugs outside but if a fly is in my house it drives me crazy. And, don't get me started on mosquitoes. I have to douse myself in spray, turn on my new Thermacell, light a citronella candle, turn on the fan. ugh! I am happy in early fall when they go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun with your camper as a child! Yes, I am thankful when I don't see bugs, as much, in the fall.

      Delete
  4. I said Boys of Summer too! Great minds ;) I am not a fan of the bugs either but I still prefer them over the snow and ice we get here. Can't wait to see your Amazon splurges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good point! I am going to work on it soon!

      Delete
  5. Bugs are definitely the worst thing about summer, followed closely by humidity. I still really like summer though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love honeysuckle! That's a great smell of summer; we didn't have one, but my boys always loved riding their bikes in my neighborhood's trail to stop and pick them to eat. The bugs! Ugh. Even the one who floated in the pool with us recently that stung you...they really do love you, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer was such fun as a child but how lovely now to spend time with your family around the pool.
    I can't deal with the heat or the bugs, especially the one's which get into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bugs have gotten soooo bad here in Georgia. My dad recently told me he things the gnat line has moved further north than is used to be because we have soooo many gnats and they're the most annoying things ever! Once they find you, they will not stop flying all around your face! And the flies have gotten really bad here in Georgia, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be excited to see your random Amazon purchases post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the smell of honeysuckle. I pass some on my walk and love it. I should have put key lime pie for my list or really any citrus flavor treat! I am also pretty used to the heat, but don't enjoy the bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the song Boys of Summer! And I hate the bugs. Bugs have the ability to ruin any outdoor activity for me and I feel bad being so fussy about that, but that's just the way it is. Hope your summer is off to a great (and relatively bug-free) start!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot about honeysuckles but they say summer to me too. They used to grow wild all across our neighborhood pool's fence and whenever it was time for adult swim all the kids would run to the fence to taste the honeysuckles. We have our yard treated for mosquitos so they're normally not too bad. There are a lot of ants this year, maybe because it's been so wet, and I'm not a fan. Hope you have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...