Happy September!
I hope you are all enjoyed the long weekend from work.
I was thankful to work from home Friday and get a few things done at home for the afternoon. Friday evening, I went to dinner with Brook, her boyfriend and his parents. I met them last summer and wanted us to all have a dinner again together this year too. They are such sweet people and I am thankful we all get along so well! We ate at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant. I had chicken schwarma with hummus and pita chips. They have the best pita chips and hummus in town and it was delicious!
Saturday morning, I made breakfast for Brook and I so she could have a homemade breakfast before returning to school. I made the homemade biscuits Tanya linked to last week. I told Brook I would make her "real" biscuits. I grew up with a mom who always made homemade biscuits. In the last few years, I began making healthier biscuits with almond flour. I told Brook I would make biscuits with real flour. I did use my sugar substitute since I don't keep real sugar in the house and I used almond milk instead of whole milk, since that is what I keep on hand. The biscuits turned out great and we had scrambled eggs, bacon and strawberries too.
I spent some time cleaning up my back porch and then ran some errands with Brook. I spotted my favorite fall candy, Brach's autumn mix! I am going to buy some in a few weeks for a road trip. If I had bought it Saturday, it would have been gone by Sunday. After errands, we got some frozen yogurt, but from a different place from my normal Menchie's.
Saturday, I had some college football playing some and then also watched the move "The Life List" on Netflix, which was pretty good. My Saturday afternoon and night were very low key and I stayed at home. There wasn't much excitement for this single girl. I slept terrible Saturday night and was up by 3:30am. Some nights are like this and I think there is just so much going on in my head and no one to really process it all with sometimes.
Sunday morning was church, then errands with Brook and cleaning my garage. Last minute, Jenn came over and we visited for a while. It was good to see her as it had been a week since I had seen her.
For the Labor Day holiday, I didn't have any plans and it seemed like it was going to be a quiet day at home by myself. I drove to my sister's house and visited with her and my nieces and greats for a few hours.
Brook and I went to dinner together and went to bed early.
Now it is back to the work week with lots of plans for the next few weeks for me.
Have a great day & thanks for reading!



I'm sorry you didn't sleep well the one night. I hate it when that happens. For me, it's often waking up early at 4:00 or so and not being able to get back to sleep. How fun to get to know Brook's boyfriend's family better! One of your best qualities (that I picked up on after, admittedly, not spending a huge amount of time with you personally but some time) is your absolute genuine friendliness and kindness. I hope you have a great Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you Maria. I enjoyed the time getting to know you and look forward to another trip next year!
DeleteYup, I can't let myself buy candy corn too early. I usually like to put it in a bowl with peanuts. I also think it looks cute in a glass vase or jar as decor! I have put a taper candle in with it before.
ReplyDeleteI know this will be a time of transition as Brook goes back to school. I hope she is ready and does ok. Maybe you can make a list of things that are just for you to do this early fall - like places you want to go, things you want to try, eat, etc.
I use to do that as a decoration to with a candle, and that would definitely stop me from eating it, ha! Great ideas for the fall and I'm working on a list. Thanks!
DeleteI bet Brook was grateful for a home cooked breakfast! It looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteShe was as she didn't get a lot of them this summer, ha!
DeleteI know this weekend and that this week was/will be bittersweet for you. I'm glad we have plans Friday night! It'll be a fun night. I was so glad to see you Sunday! I enjoyed spending that evening with you and catching up. I didn't say goodbye to Brook! I've enjoyed seeing her this summer and getting to know her more. I will see you soon, my friend! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you have been able to see her this summer a few times! Sunday night was fun!
DeleteSounds like a relaxing weekend! Going to check out "The Life List"- thanks for sharing! Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteI liked it. Thanks Holly!
DeleteI do think not having someone to process all of life's 'stuff' with is hard. I'm sorry you didn't sleep well and hope this week is better. So glad you had time with your daughter and liking the boyfriend's family is a good thing for sure. I am going to email you later today with a plan as my hubs is fine with me slipping out for a bit : ) It feels like too much to text so will send an email. Have a good day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Joyce! Yes, I am thankful to like the boyfriend & his family.
DeleteIt sounds like a lovely long weekend. How great you got to meet up with Brook's boyfriends parents again. Yum to that breakfast!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed it and the simple things! Thanks Kim!
DeleteI love that Halloween candy! Or should I say Autumn candy? It's so good! Sounds like you got in a lot of good, quality family time over the long weekend and that's a good thing!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is! Always thankful for that!
DeleteYea, I'm so glad the biscuit recipe turned out for you! So funny that you told B that you were making them with real flour. I also love that mix of candy, and yes it would be gone within a day or two. Candy corn is kind of a divisive candy since people either love it or hate it. Sorry to hear about the sleep issues.
ReplyDeleteYes, candy corn definitely seems to be a candy with no middle ground. I am in the love it camp!
DeleteI LOVE the autumn mix! Now that it's September it's time for me to get some!
ReplyDeleteLove candy corn in the fall!
ReplyDeleteMy mom has been telling me to watch The Life List. I've had it on my list for a while but haven't watched yet!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had such a full but meaningful weekend! Dinner with Brook, her boyfriend, and his parents must have been so nice…I love when families blend together so naturally. Those homemade biscuits you made for Brook sound delicious, and I bet she loved that special breakfast before heading back to school. I had to laugh about the Brach’s autumn mix…I’m the same way, it never lasts long in my house either! Your weekend mix of football, frozen yogurt, and even a good Netflix movie sounds like the perfect balance of cozy and relaxing. I’m glad you got to spend some time with family and friends too…it’s always those visits, even the last-minute ones, that make a weekend extra sweet. Wishing you a great week!
ReplyDeleteI hope to try the biscuit recipe. I know what you mean about not sleeping well - It is nice to have an adult to talk out things with.
ReplyDelete