Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Hodgepodge ~ February 18, 2026

 Hope your week is going well so far friends! I am linking up with Joyce for this week's Hodgepodge.

1. The Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? Will you be giving something up or adding something to your life in this Lenten season? 

I don't abide by the Lenten season yearly, but I do think it is an honorable practice.  In the past, I have given up something, usually a food or drink.  I do love the idea of adding something to your life instead.  I read about this a few years ago on Erika's blog and it always stuck with me.  This year, I plan on adding something positive to my life. 

2. Pancakes...are you a fan? Syrup or no syrup? Plain, blueberries, chocolate chips, bananas, or some other add in? Are pancakes on your menu this week? 

I do like pancakes, but if given the choice, I would choose a waffle.  It has probably been several years since I have eaten pancakes.  I eat plenty of other breakfast carbs (enter sourdough...), but pancakes isn't a go-to for me.  I do like syrup, but not drowning out my food.  I also would love some strawberries for garnish if you're asking :).  No pancakes are on my menu this week.  But maybe, breakfast for dinner?

3. Tell us about a time recently when you felt 'spread too thin'. 

This is not something I deal with too much anymore.  I often have a lot of little things on my personal to do list, but most are not on a time constraint.  I do feel this some at work because it seems all things are "urgent", but usually the pressure comes from others instead of within myself.  

4. What's your favorite jewel or gemstone? In terms of your wardrobe would we find more gem tones, pastels, black and white, or primary colors? 

My favorite is for sure topaz, which is the November birthstone. I am a November birthday!  I do like gem tones in my wardrobe along with black and white.  I am learning to throw in a little red in there too though.

5. What responsibility do you think is hardest about being in charge? 

I take so much personally so if something goes wrong. Not only do I feel responsible for the issue, but also I feel like it all falls on me to fix the problem. This applies to the little things and bigger things.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I had lunch last week with a family friend and it was great to catch up with him.  He is from North Carolina, but was our pastor & on our missionary team when we lived in Bogota', Colombia (we all served with the same organization).  He and his wife and their kids now live in Norway and he leads an international church there.  He was in town speaking at a missions conference.  Sunday, I went to my old church to hear him preach Sunday morning and went back Sunday night too.  It was such good services and I also loved seeing so many old dear friends.  He brought me some Norwegian candy that is the equivalent to a Kit Kat in the USA. 


Enjoy your Hodgepodge of a Wednesday!



16 comments:

  1. Growing up we were always encouraged to give something up but not to add something to our lives. I tend to prefer waffles over pancakes most of the time too. I don't like maple syrup at all though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun to catch up in person with old friends. So glad you had a nice visit.I love a topaz too and have a pretty one that belonged to hubs grandmother. He had it made into a ring for me initially, but then we converted it over to a slide for a necklace and I love that so much more. Have a nice day Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your breakfast carb comment made me chuckle. You do love your big breakfasts! I love that you got to have lunch with this old friend; I'm sure you did some walking down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your international connections! I feel worldly thanks to knowing you, lol!! My answer to five was similar to yours and we feel the same way about pancakes :). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I am thankful to have friends all over the world!

      Delete
  5. Love your visit with your old buddy. How sweet that he brought you a Norweigan Kit Kat! Do you have a World Market? Their candy is interesting and I love to look at it!
    I used to feel like November birthdays (mine too) got the shaft with the topaz but now I think it's really beautiful and my style. Maybe I should look for something topaz on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have World Market here, but I do enjoy going in those stores when I see one.

      Delete
  6. I am November too, and grew up with the idea that my birthstone was citrine, which I didn't like. But I later realized it matches my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of adding something to your life too.
    I only eat pancakes here on Pancake Day in the UK which was yesterday.
    It is hard to be in charge when things go wrong. I always take it personally too.
    How lovely to have a catch up with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much yumminess in all the breakfast carbs. I think I choose waffles over pancakes - but why be picky?!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful for you to be able to catch up with your family friend- love it! I take responsibility when things go wrong too- always makes me feel defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you about adding something in Lent. I do observe the season and I've always like doing that - doing a rosary or act of service. I do fast and pray as well during this good reflective time. I think November is such a pretty stone! I'm an October and for me it's opal and I love my stone too! 💗 I love you caught up with your pastor friend. He looks like a pastor -a very kind face. Blessings on your weekend ahead my Lovely! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer pancakes to waffles, and love having them for Breakfast for dinner nights. I really don't like a big breakfast, so don't usually eat them in the morning. I'm catching up on blogs after my trip.

    ReplyDelete

Celebrity Edge

  Hi.  This post is all about the Celebrity Edge, the ship I sailed on to Alaska.  This is the description from the internet: The Celebrity ...