Wednesday, April 29, 2026

Hodgepodge ~ April 29, 2026

 Happy Hodgepodge Day!  Love being a part of this with Joyce each week.  

1. Are you feeling more reset, restart, or full speed ahead as we move into May? Tell us why. 

My words would be reset and restart for May!  I am resetting with some new habits in my new place.  I am going to try to cook and eat at home more. I have traveled a little bit the past few weeks and now that I am back for about a month, I want to reset with habits of taking my daily vitamins, walking, & making my bed.

I am restarting with a new home with new furniture!  I am so thankful for my new place.  This week will be my first full week here!

2. Painting, sculpture, architecture, literature, cinema, theatre, music...what's your favorite form of art? Elaborate.  

On a daily basis, my favorite is for sure music.  I listen to it so much in my car and at home.  I have music playing much more than I ever turn on the tv.  I am so behind on most of my tv shows because I am usually listening to music and don't take the time to sit down and watch shows, although I hope to do that soon.  

I am a huge fan of theater too though!  My dad started us young taking us to plays.  My first one was Annie and I dreamed as an elementary student to be on Broadway.  That was my goal, but I didn't have the singing voice, so I never pursued it.  I was in some local theater plays and high school plays though.  We love going to plays in New York City and see a lot that come through locally.

On one of my trips to NYC, they had these displays set out in Times Square.  These are some of my favorite plays I have seen!  Some other favorites are 42nd Street, Back to the Future and I consider Phantom and Les Mis as classics too with great music.

I also have to choose architecture because a month from today, I will have a daughter who has graduated with her degree in architecture! 

3. What time is dinner at your house? How do you feel about leftovers? 

I like to eat around 5:30.  Some days, I eat a little earlier and if I meet up with some one else, it may be a little later. 
I have no problems with eating leftovers.  I have no shame with taking home leftovers or food that anyone gives me :).  That being said, if I have a lot of leftovers, I will eat the food once as leftovers and freeze the rest.  Thankfully, I always have a freezer full of food because I bring home so much from events or from random things I have cooked.  

4.What's the last thing you fell down a rabbit hole investigating? 

My daughter and I went to see the Michael movie last weekend.  I loved it because I love the music (most of it) of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.  After the movie, I did some investigating on his family.  Michael Jackson died in 2009, his father in 2018 and his mother is still living at the age of 95. 

5. And now for a question from the book Marilyn (Memphis Bridges) gave me...

At what are you 'self-taught?' 

I have taught myself how to live on my own.  I take care of all of my finances, little home repairs, errands, technology, cooking, & of course, making sourdough!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I am so thankful to have curtains hung in my bedroom!  Two of Jenn's boys came over last night, along with Jenn, to do this for me.  I needed help with installing the curtain rods.  Now I have found a few more things for them to hang for me in the next few weeks!  And if you are wondering whose pictures are on that side table, yes it is my daughters & Huey Lewis from the last time I met him. :)


Have yourself a wonderful hodgepodge day!


20 comments:

  1. I like that you've learned how to do so much but I hate the reason why- that you had to due to circumstances that were out of your control. How nice to have help as well when you need it. The displays in Times Square are neat! Congrats to Brook- what an accomplishment! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alec and I are seeing The Lion King next month and I can't wait. That will be a new one for me. Your curtains look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the opening number of Lion King is the best on Broadway!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad home is feeling like home : ) We listen to a lot of music here too, especially now that the weather is getting warmer and we can sit on the porch. Most evenings we're home that's what we do...sit on the porch and listen to music. Glad you got the curtains hung and are making your new place cozy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the idea of sitting on the porch listening to music with that view you have!

      Delete
  4. You HAVE taught yourself to live on your own! That's an amazing accomplishment, and once again, I will tell you how strong you are. I am so proud to know you and to have been influenced by you! I love those curtains, and I thoroughly enjoyed last night. I love that we can laugh, talk a million times in a day, and also sit comfortably in silence. How fortunate are we?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sense you are ready for a bit of a new routine! I love that! I love your new curtains and that is so sweet of them. I am embarrassed that I didn't talk more about architecture. I love that, too. Tom is a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and we have seen Fallingwater. I am so excited for Brook and for you to have an architect! Wowowow!
    I need your tips on freezing leftovers appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have some great plans for the new month. I hope you are settling in well to your new home.
    How great to see so many theatre shows and congrats to your daughter with her degree.
    Oh wow! I had no idea that Michael Jackson's mother is still alive.
    How wonderful to have Jenn's boys helping out. They sound like handy, helpful young men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that Jen's boys hung your curtains- that is so special! I am so excited for you and your new place. A freezer full of food is another true blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teaching yourself to live on your own is impressive. I honestly don't know if I'd know what to do! I love those Broadway snow globes, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The curtains look beautiful, and I'm so glad you had some help hanging them. I thought of you when I answered about architecture - I don't know much about it! We both picked reset for the month - it feels good to get back into or set new routines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music taps into the soul and is a wonderful diversion or just for enjoyment. I usually have music going on all the time. It's nice reading your responses to Joyce's questions. This is the first time in a long time for me to participate. If you're blog is named after a city in Tennessee, then I'm on the other side of the state. :) Have a blessed day! ~CAAC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, the blog is! I agree about music too!

      Delete
  11. I've seen the Lion King and Wicked at Broadway in Birmingham (the traveling productions). I think I would love some of your other choices, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting a restart with a new house and new furniture, and I hope it's a very positive and healing experience for you! How sweet that Jenn's boys came over to hang curtains for you!
    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marilyn, it's such a great feeling to know you can still learn new things, develop new routines and take care of things as needed. The past few years have taught me that I can push myself a little more when I have to. I think that's a good thing. And how exciting to have an architect in the family! I've always been fascinated by architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fun! I like those Broadway shows too. That was a cool display. The curtains look great. I love leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love learning more tidbits about you my Friend. I'm with you and love music and have it on all the time. I love musicals as well and those displays in NY are so cool! I'm so happy to see you continue to settle in and you sure are rocking your new start in amazing ways (you strong self sufficient Baby you!). Love the curtains! Blessings on your weekend ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...