Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Hodgepodge ~ May 27, 2026

 Good morning!  I am linking up with Joyce today for Hodgepodge this last week of May. 


1. Do you like your name? Are you named after someone (grandparent, etc)? If you have children how did you choose their names? 

I do like my name, but often joke I am the youngest Marilyn still living! However, about 5 years ago when doing a college tour at University of Georgia, our college student tour guide's name was Marilyn.  She told me she was named after her grandmother & I said I have not doubt about that!

I always wanted my name to end with two n's though when I was younger, but now I am content.  My middle name is after my mother and grandmother and my oldest shares that same middle name. Both of my daughters have their parents middle names.

2.  A piece of red velvet cake, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a slice of blueberry pie? You can only have one...which will you choose? If you could pick any red, white, or blue dessert other than those listed here, what would you choose? 

A scoop of vanilla ice cream, preferably frozen yogurt or if ice cream, can it be Jeni's? 

One of my favorite desserts, which doubles as breakfast too if I am honest, is strawberry pretzel salad.  


3.  What's a job you'd like to try for just one day? 

I am in such awe of air traffic controllers.  Last year, I was able to visit the Air Traffic Control Center in Memphis and was like a kid in a candy store.  I studied aviation in college, so this has has always been an interest. I think it is must be one of the hardest jobs along with being a specialized surgeon.  If I could have a job for just one day with a little less stress, I wish I could be a broadway star to act, sing and dance!



4. Any patriotic decor in your home currently or coming up this summer? 

I have some patriotic decor, but won't put it out this summer.  Don't get me wrong, I am patriotic and very thankful for freedom and those who have fought for it & served our country. However, last year, July 4th was such a sad day for us due to the Texas floods.  I want to be sensitive to this upcoming day.

5. It's the end of May, so let's exercise our brains. Sum up your month with an acrostic using the word MAY. We can do it!!  

M - The annual Mother's Day crawfish boil my sister and brother-in-law host each year is always a fun time with family.

A - Adorning my apartment with decor & Assembling furniture has been a fun part of the month! 

This is the new cabinet/closet for my garage.

TV with lights (that dim with a remote control) over my new fireplace stand
New curtains
Hanging shelves with my new favorite curtains
I assembled these bar stools for my kitchen.

Y - The Youthful Years of Yesterday have gone by oh so fast.  This little one graduates from college this week.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I will post again next week with some photos from graduation hopefully.  I would appreciate prayers for the next several days as the family gathers for this celebration. 

Hope this last week of May is going well for you and thanks for reading!



13 comments:

  1. Congrats to your daughter on her graduation! That's such an exciting milestone. What an adorable throwback photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn is a good name but you are right - you are a young one! And, the college tour guide, too!
    I enjoyed seeing more views of the new place! It looks so good!
    Happy graduation and prayers going out for a smooth few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother shares your name so I like it : ) I will be thinking of you as you navigate the weekend and all the dynamics along with the emotion. Praying there are no awkward or uncomfortable moments and you can just enjoy celebrating your daughter's accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an exciting time for you and your daughter- enjoy it all! Ok I love everything you have put together in your apartment- it looks beautiful- I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was fun to read! Do I know your middle name??? I can't remember it, if you've told me. I think it's cool that your daughters share names with you. I'm always fascinated by people's names! I loved witnessing your new home come to life this last month. It was definitely a month of adorning and assembling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the only Marylin I know apart from Monroe and Manson. lol
    Oh wow! That strawberry pretzel salad looks so good!
    An Air Traffic Controller sounds like such an interesting job. I don't think I could take the pressure. Eek!
    Everything you have done with your new home is fantastic! I do like the lights next to the TV. You have done a great job.
    Thinking of you all with the graduation coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a Marilyn who teaches a class at my gym. She may be older than you though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’re the second person who recommended strawberry pretzel salad in this hodgepodge! I think I need to try it…

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I read your answers, I had to go back and change one of mine. For some reason, I thought it was red velvet cake WITH ice cream. I would definitely choose a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of Red velvet cake. I think we may have discussed how our kids have our middle names? You really got a lot done this month with the assemblying and decorating! Congrats to B on graduation. Safe travels to all and praying for a meaningful, peaceful visit for all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am saying a prayer for you right now!! Her little pink cheeks are so cute. I love your curtains - I think I had that fabric on something - maybe some wing chairs? or bedding? LOVE it! I chose Strawberry Pretzel salad, too . . .and now I am going to have to make it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two N's would be a nice way to end your name. That pretzel salad sounds and looks good. Oh, a crawfish boil sounds so good. I like your bar stools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to the new college graduate! How cute is that photo? Your decor and furniture is coming along!! I love that closet for the garage and those pretty curtains. That pretzel salad looks good for breakfast right now. I haven't had it in years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know very many Marilyns now that I think about it. In a way I'm surprised it hasn't stayed more popular because it is a pretty name.
    How fun with all the new furniture and decor - I love how everything looks!
    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...