Monday, July 6, 2026

Hello Monday~ July 6, 2026/Independence Day weekend

 Good morning friends!  I hope you had a good weekend.  Here is a recap of what has been happening in my neck of the woods.

I mentioned last week a sleepover was happening here.  Thursday after work, 4 of my great nieces ages 9, 6, 5 and 4 came over to spend the night with us.  They were so excited and we were too. Shortly after they arrived, we went to the pool.  There were some other guests there too and they were adorable....
This momma and her babies were in the water when we arrived. After the pool, we came back and the girls had their hair and make-up done and got into costume to perform a Wizard of Oz play for us.  They are darling.
After the play, we did a dance lesson online and then popped popcorn and watched some tv before bed. I love my new popcorn popper! This is under $10!  All you do is add kernels and put this in the microwave. This requires no oil, so it is a healthy snack.  They did request some salt on the popcorn though :).
Friday, we had waffles, grapes, and scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Afterwards, we took a quick 15 minute walk to get some outside movement.  Brook and I are on either end of the girls.
Brook did an art lesson with the girls.  We baked some cookies, had some lunch and they were all picked up by 1:30pm.  

After they left Friday, I did some cleaning and meal prepping because I had 3 friends coming over for dinner Friday night.  Other than hosting my parents the first week of living here, this was my first time to have multiple people here to eat.  I didn't get a finished picture of the main dish, but this was it in prep stage.  I made salmon with pesto and tomatoes in a foil packet with asparagus, seasoned with my bourbon salt and pepper. It was delicious!  One of my guests eats Keto, so  I tried to keep most things Keto approved.
I served this with broccoli salad and had this board of snacks to eat before/with our meal.
I made a cheesecake fluff for dessert with strawberries and blueberries.
Everyone liked the food and we watched the World Cup games.  Colombia won again! 

Saturday morning, I made breakfast for Brook and I.  I wanted to make something special for her, so I bought these Sister Schubert Cinnamon rolls.  We use to have these all the time when she was younger, so it was a blast from the past for her to have one of her old favorites.

Unfortunately, the father of one of my best friends passed away early in the morning.  I went to the grocery store and bought some breakfast food and lunch food for her.  I stayed at her house for a little bit to listen and cry with her. My heart breaks for her and her kids.  She became a widow herseslf in her mid-30's with 3 young kids.  Her father was such a huge part of her life and her kids.  She is remarried now, but the loss of her dad and their grandfather hits hard.  I spent some time praying for her and for the families of last year's Texas flood victims' families.  May we grieve with hope and long even more for heaven.  Oh what a day of rejoicing that will be!  

I went to my sister's house for a few hours later in the afternoon on the 4th, but was home way before dark & took a walk.  Brook spent the day on her own.  I was thankful to give her a hug that morning before we went about our day.  

Sunday morning, I walked to church and then had lunch at home by myself.  I saw Brook briefly Saturday morning and then we did cross paths Sunday afternoon, when I took her to go see the rose garden I mentioned week before last. Shortly afterwards, she was out again, so I had a fairly quiet day at home. I ate chicken meatballs, broccoli salad and some slices of cheese for lunch.


How was your weekend?  Enjoy your Monday!











17 comments:

  1. I have that same popcorn popper (or something very similar to it anyway) and just love it. It sounds like you had a lovely sleepover. You are such a fun great aunt! It looks like you had a really delicious weekend as well. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. I am looking forward to use the popcorn popper some more.

      Delete
  2. The sleepover sounds so fun and I love that Brook gave an art lesson! I have had that popcorn popper for years and I even take my own popcorn to the movies. I put the kernels in and pop it and then use a movie theatre butter spray and some salt and it's so good. If I am having people over, sometimes I put truffle oil in my popcorn. Fancy!
    Your dinner looks so good and good for you for hosting two times last week!
    Those Sis Schubert rolls are so good. They also have a pack with sausage inside but I have never tried those.
    Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thursday night sleepover sounds like the most fun! I love that you took them to the pool, for a walk, and that Brookie did an art lesson with them. I know they loved that! Your dinner looked fabulous from Friday night...you had a full and wonderful weekend! I'm so glad. I feel like I was on a little vacation for mine, and I loved every second. Happy Monday! Prayers for a good and easy day at work. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely weekend (minus your good friend's dad dying but how wonderful that you were there for her)! The activities with your greats sound so fun and how kind of Brook to do an art lesson with them!! I love this. The meal you prepared for friends looks really good as does the breakfast. Swooning over those roses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun time with the little girls and your food for your guests looks great too. I'm sorry about your friend's father. Love the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sleepover looks like lots of fun! I guess the little girls are Brook's second cousins? I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's father. That's so good that you could be a comfort to her. Your salmon dinner looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You accomplished so much in one weekend Marilyn! You must have so much energy to manage that many littles! Love it :) Your food all looks amazing and those gardens are just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun that the Mama duck showed up when you had the girls at the pool! I bet they were tickled! Sounds like you're a great host for little girls! And ALLLL of your food looks delicious! I am glad you had a good weekend, it was nice catching up with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! How lovely to have your great nieces for a sleepover and what lovely guests at the pool. It sounds like you all had a fun time! Yum to the popcorn!
    The salmon dish looks so good and what a brilliant breakfast for Brook!
    So sorry about your friend's father!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how wonderful you are to your greats dear Friend. You all sure get up to lots of fun together. Love the duck visitors - so sweet. :) Prayers and love sent out to your friend. I agree, what an amazing day it will be when we are all together in God's glorious kingdom! 😍 Your cinnamon rolls look so yummy. Blessings on your week ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looked like a fun time with the little ones. The duck visitors were so cute! It sounds like you are having a good summer and enjoying time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a lovely weekend- although certainly with some ups and downs. I love that you had all the girls over for a sleepover- as a parent with young children and not much help/support in that particular area, THANK YOU for doing that for the girls and their parents!

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Vancouver ~ August 20, 2026

  Today's post is about my time exploring Vancouver a little more.  I had a full day in Vancouver and then after a trip to Whistler, I h...