Thursday, August 27, 2026

Monthly Musings ~ August 27, 2026

Happy Thursday!  I am linking for this month's Monthly Musings all about cleaning and life hacks. 


Are you good at managing the weekly laundry at your house or do you need help?

Yes, laundry is pretty easy here at my place.  I live with my daughter, so it is just the two of us with laundry.  I do a load of clothes midweek and sheets/towels on the weekend.

Best tips for containing the kitchen and dishes chaos.

Clean as you go, or at least put items in the sink.  That allows for the countertops to get cleaned and you can load your dishwasher at night or the next morning, whatever your preference! For casual meals with guests, paper products are nice to use so you are only cleaning up serving and cooking dishes.

What grocery items do you always have on hand to make a quick meal? 

I always have cooked meat in my freezer.  I bring home some food from some of my work events, but have always had cooked chicken and ground beef in the freezer that I can defrost to use for recipes.  
 
Best tips for saving money on groceries.

As probably most of us do, clip the coupons online from your regular grocery store and stock up on frequent products when they are on sale!  

Cleaning service. DIY or is house cleaning overrated?

I think there is a time and place for it.  For people who aren't working full time, I honestly haven't understood the need for that expense.  Those who work or have some physical disabilities, it seems like a more practical need, but to each their own.  I think it is nice to gift someone a cleaning service, especially if it is before or after an event or company.

Favorite cleaning products?

I still use a Thieves for cleaning my countertops in the kitchen.  I also use Lysol wipes.  

Do you try to use "green" products in your house?
Thieves is a clean product that is purchased through Young Living.  The bottle lasts forever and I mix it with rubbing alcohol and water to make my own cleaner.  I also have Five Guards, which is a much affordable option.

Do you schedule certain tasks for certain days of the week?

I try to wipe down my countertops most days and clean my bathroom as needed.  Laundry, as mentioned before, I do once during the week and once on the weekends.  The rest I do as needed! 

What is the most overwhelming part of your week that you think you need help with right now?

 I live in a relatively small space and love it, so from a cleaning/organizational standpoint, I am at a good place.  Moving twice in a year helps to consolidate items, especially when you downsize.  I do need to organize some papers and recipe pages, but that may be a fall project.  

What part of your week do you think you excel at?

Excel is a strong word, but I think I do well in spending a lot of time at home by myself.  I have come to accept, embrace and enjoy it for the most part.  


Linking up with Patty

16 comments:

  1. I love how you manage your life- you make it look so easy and I am so happy that you love your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten all about Thieves but I used to love it. I will look for the other one. I am big on a nice clean smell and love the seasonal Mrs. Meyer's products. I sometimes find good products at TJ Maxx. I love the smell of bleach but hate the smell of vinegar. I am doing better with cleaning and one that thing helps is to have less knick knacks around. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both of them and the fall smells are nice too.

      Delete
  3. I am spoiled by having a cleaning person who comes every other week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish laundry was easy here but there are 4 of us and it seems never ending. I would love a cleaning service but it does seem a bit extravagant since I am home every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of Thieves or 5 Guard before-- I'll have to look for those. I feel like I am always wiping down countertops but, like you, most other chores are just done on an as needed basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to tackle these jobs and love the products you use! I like seventh generation too but they can be more expensive. And I make my own natural daily shower spray to keep up with that. I'm now in the Autumn organization mode and going through spaces to clear, clean and organize a bit. And soon will be shampoo carpets time before holiday season too. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading about your cleaning tips. I agree that having clean counters is so nice, even if the dishes are "hiding" in the sink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea to have cooked meat always handy in the freezer! I do this occasionally but should probably do it much more often to save time on busy weeknights. Thanks for the tip about Five Guards - it looks like a good affordable alternative to other products.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for joining us. I have not head of Five Guard but will look it up!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...