Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Currently Hodgepodging

Good morning & Happy 1st day of July!
 It has been pretty quiet in my world and I have been processing a lot the past few days, but I am joining in today with 2 of my favorites...Hodgepodge and Currently!

 1. What do you love most about your country? 

I love all the freedoms we have.  Just a few of the freedoms that come to mind are being able to worship, drive a car, travel, walk outside,  and access to medical care. I am always thankful to be a US citizen, regardless who is in office.  From my time abroad, I have a deeper appreciation for our country and learned a lot from citizens of other nations. 

2. Your favorite patriotic song? 

I am going to choose America the Beautiful.

I love the references to the beauty of our country, God's grace that has been shown to us and the sacrifice of so many. I do think America is beautiful.  While we aren't as old as places in Europe, we have a beautiful country to explore!  My desire to leave the country is less and less.  However, there are a few more places I would love to see or re-visit.  But, I also want to visit more places in the USA and Canada too. I feel fortunate that I have traveled a lot, but can still name some great places I haven't visited.

3. Red, white, or blue? Stars or stripes? Something you own besides a US flag with some combination of those colors or decorations as part of its design? 

I love all 3 colors!  I have some USA decor, but haven't pulled it out this year.  I am thankful and celebrating, but this holiday will be bittersweet for us here.  It marks the one year anniversary of the Texas floods.  We are still in touch with the mom of my daughter's dear friend who lost her life in that event.  If you think of them, will you pray for this mom? And pray for all of the other families who lost family members last year on this day too.

Thank you and moving on to the next question...Stripes over stars, but I like both.

My first house was nicknamed Lady Liberty because it essentially was decorated like 4th of July year round! Not excessively, but I did have flag decor throughout my house.  I am sure I have pictures of this somewhere, but this was way before cell phones and before I was married.  I bought my first home when I was 23 and owned it for 4 years.

4. What's one thing you want more of this summer: fun, rest, adventure, connection, quiet, or confidence? Elaborate. 

I would vote for connection.  I miss the connection piece knowing I always have someone to call at anytime, but I will also say, it makes me more dependent on crying out to the Lord when I can't call a friend. It was a lonely weekend without anyone to call about some things, but I am always grateful for the growth I have had being alone and dependent on Him instead of another person. 

I also would love more confidence & who wouldn't want a little more fun?

5. What was your ultimate, go-to summer activity when you were a kid? Do you still do any version of that today? If you answered yes, does participating in this activity as an adult make you feel like a kid?  

I can't help but think of summers at my grandparents house.  We played outside all the time.  They lived on about 100 acres, so there was no shortage of where to play!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Sparkling – What is currently “sparkling” in your life?

Gosh, this was a hard one for me.  The only answer I can think of are a few of my Spotify playlists.  They are a mix of Abba, Lisa Marie Presley, Teddy Swims, Taylor Swift, Huey Lewis, Prince and Harry Styles to name a few.

Grilling/Cooking 

I don't do much of either.  I did cook some bacon on Saturday and it turned out perfect! I usually try to cook breakfast on Saturday's, but it is usually just bacon and eggs.


Heating up 

It is warming up to be our hottest week of the summer! Oh my, the air feels oppressive.  However, I was still able to walk to church on Sunday and I still love doing this. I haven't driven to church since Easter!

Using 

With the heat, I am trying to use my indoor walking pad and vibration plate a few times a week for movement.  I need to use it even more, but I just get lazy honestly.  I don't do well walking outside in the heat.  

Celebrating 

My daughter received her actual college diploma in the mail this week and it seemed like a celebration all over again.  I played Pomp and Circumstance on my phone as she opened it :). I am celebrating that my older daughter starts a new position next month with her work. I am celebrating that I am going away on vacation and thinking about some fall trips too.

Hope your week is going well and thanks for reading!

25 comments:

  1. We're having one our hottest weeks this summer too and I do not do well walking outside in it either. I am kind of dreading spending the day in Boston today- it sounded like a great idea a few weeks ago when our temps were in the 80's but now I'm like... what can I wear and not sweat to death in all day? I'm hopeful we'll spend most of our time in the air conditioning (which means I'll probably freeze but I'm okay with that!). I love that you played pomp & circumstance as she opened her diploma-- that's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun moment! Oh, stay cool. I think NYC may even be hotter than we are this week!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that you've had some hard things to process lately. Life is so hard for so many people! I'm so glad that through it all, you're becoming more dependent on our heavenly Father, who is the best Husband and Dad you could ever ask for. I've been praying that a lot lately, and thanking Him for these two things. I love you, friend.

    I loved your answer to traveling in the first hodgepodge question! We are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place, and we never even have to leave our country. I feel the same about traveling further, the older I get. I want to travel, but I have less and less desire to leave our country.

    Happy Wednesday! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the heat of August seems to have shown up early. I'm taking short outside walks with Eddie Otis. He doesn't even want to be out for long! He dramatically collapses on the tile floor.
    I was just thinking about the horrible Texas flooding. Still so so sad and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the heat does wear him out faster. Yes, it is almost too much to think about. Heartbreaking.

      Delete
  4. America has the best patriotic songs! America the Beautiful always gives me goosebumps. Your summers at your grandparents sound wonderful and that bacon looks so good!
    Congrats to your daughter with her college diploma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I sure miss those summers and we do have some great songs. Happy day!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry you were alone and I can only imagine what you had to process. It is never easy. I feel like the next chapter will be full of excitement and love for you and I also believe it is right around the corner- keep the faith! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun about receiving the college diploma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your first house was named Lady Liberty! And I can see how a lot of overseas travel would make you appreciate the US even more. As great as some other countries are, there's no place like home. Your grandparent's place sounds like a great place to spend time at! Congrats to both of your girls on their accomplishments :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was good to read your hodgepodge answers this morning. That was such a hard tragedy to see and hear about last year and I can't imagine the hole in the hearts of those who lost their precious girls. I also can't imagine what people cling to if they do not have the Lord in them. May God continue to strengthen and comfort that dear Mom. Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine either. I agree the Lord is the only healing place. Thank you for those prayers.

      Delete
  9. Wow wall my to church is amazing. I would love to be able to have that option. My church is across town, on the other side of a river so it's not walkable.
    I hope you all are able to stay cool, and keep hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love my walks to church, even in the heat. Thank you and you too!

      Delete
  10. I also love and appreciate the USA more and more as I get older. I think living in another country gives one so much more appreciation for our freedoms and comforts here. I woke up today and your daughter was just on my heart as I thought about the floods. We are seeing lots of coverage on the news as we get near the anniversary. Thinking of y'all and all the affected families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the USA appreciation. Oh thank you. I will watch a little of the coverage on Saturday. Hope your week back is going well!

      Delete
  11. It is so hot here in middle Alabama, too! I think the heat index was 107 today. I was able to walk to church when I was a kid and I wish I could do that now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be thinking of your friend's mom and your daughter too. My father-in-law passed away on July 4th (2017) so the day brings some memory with it here. I so agree about living outside the US giving us perspective. There's so much we take for granted here. I hope you have something fun planned for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello dear Friend! Sending you blessings for the holiday weekend ahead. You are often in my thoughts as I empathize with this season you are in so well. When you pop in my mind I send up prayers. I can completely reiterate what you said about growth in yourself and relationship with the Lord when you deal with tough days. Love your playlist - sounds so fun! I love to blast some music when I clean and work out. Your bacon looks mouthwatering!! Happy 4th! ❤️💙

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you can walk to church! Our church drive is 25 minutes and that is just close enough to get to, but far enough away that it takes a whole process and scheduling to get there and back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your answers and agree! I'll take some bacon!!

    ReplyDelete

Hodgepodge ~ September 30, 2026

 Hi blog friends!  How are you?  Thanks to Joyce, I am linking up with Hodgepodge this week. 1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to...